Friday, April 29, 2005

Unique Selling Proposition

I don't exactly enjoy doing sales. But I must admit I'm relatively good at it. Not because I'm glib, not because I'm smart. Most of the times, it all boils down to telling as it is. And that's almost the only technique I apply in doing persuasive sales, provided that the product merit is a given.

Let's try a scenario. Suppose you are selling a health supplement. A customer asks (and Singaporeans are very fond of this question), "Is this product good?" / "Does this product really work?" How would you answer it? Having worked with salespeople of different styles, some typical answers will be:

"Of cos it's very good! This is a product by XXX, a very good brand," says the hard-sell guy. Of course, a trusted brand sells by itself but a statement like that may sound pompous, and if delivered with a condescending tone, off-putting.

Then there is the lame, I'm-just-earning-a-miserable-salary type of salesperson. He or she might respond to the question saying, "Er...I'm not too sure...my boss says it works lar..." Consumers' confidence goes rock-bottom. In its worst repercussion, the brand image of the company is damaged.

So what will I say? This is my typical answer:

"I would say it's good and it works because I sell it. But honestly, products work to different degree for different people. You'll have to experience and assess the improvement it brings to you."

From experience, such a statement usually works. It does not over-promise. Though it does not directly persuade, it is interesting to note the subliminal effect it has on the consumers. It sounds believable and honest, and most of the time they'll buy. What you say is not all that matters. Like what we've learnt from sales gurus and communication experts, a lot of other factors interplay -

• attitude - attitude of the salesperson ranks high for me when it comes to assessing my purchase experience as a consumer. Sincerity, patience and honesty are all important attributes of a good salesperson. Not one who exaggerates the best and create a hell lots of ballyhoo.

• belief - the salesperson has to first believe in his / her product before a good sales pitch can come through. If at the end of the day you doubt what you are selling, might as well don't sell. The product may just not be worth you working for it.

• knowledge - know your products. If it's a computer, know what its processor can deliver, what it's best for and who it works well for. And when the question from a customer gets truly tough, don't put up a false front saying you know when you don't. Admit you're not sure but you'll help find out.

And for companies recruiting a salesperson, don't expect the guy to sell miraculously when you don't have something good to offer in the first place. Also, remember what happens at the frontline affects the bottomline and ultimately, the brand value as perceived by the customers.

-------------------------------

Have more tips on marketing? Leave me comments!

No comments: