Thursday, February 10, 2005

Consumer Heroism!

My friend reminded me that the complaints and compliments I've written make fun content for my blog. Some interesting stuff here. Bad service irks me. It tells so much about the work attitude, which tells so much about one's personality. I'm not complainy. I only air what I feel is just (which maybe unjust afterall from the receiving party's viewpoint...hahaha).

Here's one case about a delayed flight. I was stuck in the airport for more than 5 hours and the slipshod management by the airline staff was utter disppointment! Read my first email, and the subsequent exchanges.

*Real identities are protected by use of alias XXX.

-----Original Message-----
From: Piya Chee [mailto:]
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 1:22 PM
To: XXX
Cc: XXX
Subject: Delay of Flight GA841
Importance: High

XXX
Sales Manager
Garuda Indonesia


Dear Ms Ng

DELAY OF FLIGHT GA841 ON 1 JULY 2003

I would like to express my grave displeasure over the delayed flight GA841 to Bali on 1 July 2003. It was the single incident that marred our holiday experience in Bali.

Initially scheduled to fly at 1825h, the flight was delayed for more than 5 hours. This disruption to my planned itinerary resulted in much inconveniences, the upset of rest among many. We had to make coordination to ensure that our transfer from Denpasar Airport to the hotel was not missed. Spending several hours at the airport waiting aimlessly was no fun. We checked into the hotel only at the wee hours of 3.30am on 2 July 2003. The lack of sleep inevitably caused much exhaustion and less enjoyment as we embarked on our tour around Bali in the hours that followed.

The way Garuda handled the situation of the flight delay was disappointing. We were informed of the delay only some time after the scheduled take-off time despite several enquiries. Annoucements were not properly communicated to us and many of the passengers had to ask around to find out the arrangements in line. If anything, the free dinner arranged by your airline was not what we were after; hunger pangs was not priority for those who seek a smooth holiday.

I would like to appeal for a compensation over the frustrations that we faced in choosing a short-changed flight experience with Garuda, for myself, my mother (XXX) and friend (XXX) who were with me. Above all, speaking from the point of view of a communication practitioner, Garuda needs to strengthen its ability in handling unforeseen circumstances such as this - it makes or breaks Garada as a reliable airline brand.

Thank you for your kind attention. I look forward to your favourable reply as soon as possible.

Regards
Piya Chee

cc XXX

-----Original Message-----
From: Sales Secretary
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2003 11:06 AM
To: Piya Chee
Cc: XXX
Subject: GA841/1 Jul

Dear Ms Chee,

We acknowledged your e-mail dated on 5 Jul regarding the flight delay on GA841/1Jul.

We will investigate the matter and will revert back to you upon receipt of the investigation results.

We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused.


Best Regards,
XXX
Sales Secretary
GARUDA INDONESIA
101 Thomson Rd
#12-03 United Square
Singapore 307591


Airline finally replied, after a very careful 1 week investigation. And we countered (see [WE SAY]) on those weak, unconvincing excuses.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sales Secretary
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 11:45 AM
To: Piya Chee; XXX
Subject: Re: GA841/1 Jul

Dear Piya/XXX,

Further to my email dated 7Jul. We are please to advise you the outcome of our investigation as follows:

1. GA841/1Jul was delayed due to technical problems and the aircraft will be grounded.

[WE SAY] point understood and accepted.

2. Announcement was made through the PA system to inform all passenger of the delay and arrangements were made to transfer pax on flights GA831 & GA833 to Dps via Jkt.

[WE SAY] Communication/announcement was not prompt - there was no initiative to inform the guest of the happening until your staff was asked. Even then, the reasons for delay was given much later, after much pressing and inquiry from the affected passengers.

3. At 1830hr, we received instruction from our Jkt office that another aircraft will replaced the grounded aircraft. The replacement aircraft will arrive into Sin at 2300hrs and schedule to depart to Dps at 2400hrs.

[WE SAY] While you received instructions from Jkt office at 1830hr, we only receive announcement at around 1900hr, a half-hour delay which is unpardonable, given that the flight was supposed to take off at 1825hr.

4. Pax were informed to proceed to cafeteria for dinner.

5. However, pax were given options to travel on GA831 via Jkt which depart at 1840 or travel on the following morning at 0745 with GA823 via Jkt.

[WE SAY] These options are not attractive nor reasonable! I absolutely do not recall having these options offered. Through the "grapevine" via other passengers (and not through the PA system), we were told that we might have the option of travelling on Merpati or depart the following day at 1825 via Garuda. Besides, how could we have been offered to travel on GA 831 which depart at 1840 when we were only 'formally' informed of the delay past the said time?

6. Apology letter was given to all pax at the departure gate.

[WE SAY] apology letters were NOT given to all pax. I actually went up to the counter to ask for an explanation letter detailing the delay before a letter was copied to all passengers. Your colleague at the counter merely asked who require the letter, expecting us to walk up to the counter to collect the letters ourselves, which was very unprofessional. The annoucement (though not verbatim) was "for those who need the letter on the delay, please collect from the counter"

Reference to International Airline regulations, we regret to inform you that we are unable to compensate. Please refer to the conditions stipulated in all air ticket under point 9.

[Quote] Carrier undertakes to use its best efforts to carry the passenger and baggage with reasonable dispatch. Times shown in the timetable or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. Schedules are subject to change without notice. [Unquote]

It is unfortunate that the flight was delayed however, we sure that you understand that the safety of all passenger is our outmost concern and cannot be compromised.

[WE SAY] While I understand and appreciate that passenger safety supercedes all aspects of customer service/satisfaction, I do expect professional 'issue' management from Garuda.

We hope the above explanation is clear in explaining the circumstances surrounding that day which is inevitable and we truly apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Assuring you of our continued service, we remain.

[WE SAY] Ha! Archiac, standard template reply worthy of a grand burial in the tomb of "TOP 10 REPLIES TO COMPLAINTS MISTAKES".

Thank you

Best Regards
XXX

My FINAL REPLY
-----Original Message-----
From: Piya Chee
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 9:29 PM
To: 'Sales Secretary'
Cc: XXX
Subject: RE: GA841/1 Jul

Dear XXX

Your reply on behalf of Garuda was utterly disappointing. While I know replying this email will be a lost cause, I would like to make our stand clear:

Firstly, clarification on point 5:
"However, pax were given options to travel on GA831 via Jkt which depart at 1840 or travel on the following morning at 0745 with GA823 via Jkt."

I absolutely do not recall having these options offered. Through the "grapevine" via other passengers (and not through the PA system), we were told that we might have the option of travelling on Merpati or depart the following day at 1825 via Garuda. Besides, how could we have been offered to travel on GA 831 which depart at 1840 when we were only 'formally' informed of the delay past the said time?

On point 6:
"6. Apology letter was given to all pax at the departure gate."
I actually went up to the counter to ask for an explanation letter detailing the delay before a letter was copied to all passengers. The annoucement (though not verbatim) was "for those who need the letter on the delay, please collect from the counter"

Since you were not on the grounds, I do not expect you or your supervisor to have first-hand account of the incident. Nevertheless, where your capacity allows, do air our views to the team. While I genuinely appreciate and understand your airline's response to safety requirements, your company needs to relook its service approach. And yes, Garuda is struck off my choice airline list, and most probably that of my close friends and relatives.

I rest my case.

--------------------
And on a last note,
I was pissed not because I didn't get any compensation. I was furious over the response, the way the matter was handled in absolute high-handed bureaucratic manners that make "idiocracies" an inevitable way of life. By the way, I'm over this long time ago.

On the other hand, a recent experience with Jetstar Asia was one of the most delightful flights I ever had. More on this in another entry.

No comments: