Sunday, March 13, 2005

Father and son

I was at Great World City earlier this afternoon...together with XY who was looking desperately for a pair of black shoes to buy. Not much luck with shoes but I chanced upon a heart-warming incident at Hush Puppies which I promise to blog.

An old grand-daddy saw this pair of comfort shoes he liked at Hush Puppies which I think cost around $40. His son (in his 40s) was about to get the shoes but old grand-daddy decided not to cos it's too expensive. The son got round to the salesguy (apparently scheming some ploy), and I overheard this conversation exchange:

Son: Dad you like this pair right? Let's get it. It's cheaper than $40, they will give us discount. (Turning to salesguy) Right?

Salesguy: (in his goondoo smile and really can't-act-for-nuts-sake expression) Yes yes, it's on offer now.

Grand-daddy: No, you don't bluff me.... It's ok, I don't want the shoes.

Son: It's ok dad. Let's get the shoes.

Grand-daddy did not agree right away and wanted to leave. It was only with much persuasion and conviction that the shoes were indeed on offer that the grand-daddy finally ok'd the purchase.

Of cos, there's no further discount on the $40 shoes but the shoes look very affordable to the son whose income level seems comfortable. Still, the shoes must have been really expensive. Love makes it priceless.

2 comments:

minty said...

*sob* so sweet... old people...

pi said...

You should check out the sales guy...standing down there so kayu...amused that he has to tell a white lie to get the ah gong to buy. I like the father and son :)

By the way, thanks for dropping by. Think I have to send out one publicity email to get people to read...haha!